The Land Of Lefts In Peru

In the search for consistency of good waves, we crossed the border from Ecuador into Peru. Crossing in the middle of the night, we had missed the transition from greenery to desert. Peru welcomes you was obvious with the change of landscape. Our first stop was Mancora, a town to enjoy if all you want to do is drink a lot. The wave here was small and overcrowded.

We wanted to surf Lobitos (the land of barrels) but with a swell 4 days away we decided to find a break before it to chill out in. Los Organos was where we stopped. 1 hour later we were on the bus again. A very creepy town and an unpleasant experience involving a challenged local simulating a gun with his hand at us left us wondering why we even bothered to exit the bus here.

Unfortunately we didn't surf Lobitos as we arrived 4 nights too early for the swell and could only hold out in this town for 2 nights as boredom in this town can hit quickly and easily especially with the lack of produce to by and places to eat. 2 dogs locked their sites on Bronnie from a mile away. 1 of which was able to hit their target. Bronnie's ankle; no skin was pierced so we were pleasantly relieved.

We bee lined it straight for Puerto Chicama via a night in Trujillo.


Puerto Chicama, the light blue hostel is Él Hombres

Apparently Chicama is one of the longest waves in the world. We were in ore at this place. We would wake up just as light was bearing its face, pull on our wetsuits and stuff our mouth with a banana. Often we would be the only ones out there for the first round of waves. This was a good tactic because often there would be at least 1 rubber ducky start up at 9am with its main aim of pissing all the paddle surfers off. These rubber duckies would drop someone off right on the take off when a good set would come through. Rendering you useless to compete as the current being so strong had already dragged you off to the side. Once the people using the ducky would finish their wave. The ducky would be there to pick them up again. Usually 800 meters down the line but sometimes earlier depending on the length of the wave. It was a great day watching from the balcony of El Hombres, when a ducky flipped over and was swamped by a wave in the sandpit. The sandpit is where the take off is on the 1st point where the water really shallows out. There is a lot of sand churning around in it, hence the name sandpit.

 Triff having spent some time here recently was already tuned to this wave and where to sit so the current didn't take advantage of him. A very good thing to know as the current here can be very strong. There is a second point at which is really good to start at. It is only a little bit more of a walk around from the 1st point. A good warm up just as the sun is coming up and before you reach the sandpit.

We met heaps of good friends and caught very long waves here, but it was time for a change.

Huanchaco is only 20 minutes from Trujillo. This is where we enjoyed the following 11 days. This town did prove to be a great place to freshen up as the desert looming over Chicama and the lack of things to do could all be a bit much. Huanchaco is soaked in a good vibe for surfing. It was up to you if you wanted to party every night or simply escape that scene and concentrate on surfing. Surprisingly this town felt very well balanced. The wave itself was quite a bit of fun. Big left hand slabs with slow sections, fast sections and many long rides. The current was a problem here on bigger swells. Staying at our hostel was Triff and a few mates we had met from Chicama called Janaka, Kayne and Simon with matching white thongs. In another hostel down the road was another mate from Chicama called Sebastian. And in another hostel Tasman was staying whom we met from Chicama as well. All very good mates and we look forward to catching up with them more. We just missed another dog attack, this time on Janakas calf muscle causing a bit of blood. To this day Janaka is still alive and isn't frothing.



From here we headed back to Chicama for one last dag. Unfortunately we were both bed ridden and sick. With the swell disappearing, Bron and I headed up to Pacasmayo, which was a good choice as we scored some good waves there. We met up with Tasman who happened to be staying at the same hostel and played a few rounds of table tennis. We all decided to hire a moto and catch the early bird at Puemape, which is a 30-45 minute drive south from Pacasmayo. We scored except for the carload of Peruvians that thought that if we paddled deeper then they would paddle even deeper. This sometimes worked in our favour. Overall Puemape is a great spot that isn't surfed by the masses.

On the trip home from Puemape to Pacasmayo our moto had a puncture. Positioning Bronnie on the side of the pucture (because she is the lightest), we pushed on to the closest town. Upon arrival at this town, the driver bought a new tube and tire and replaced the now barely recognisable damaged tube and tire. Because of all the driving on the rim, the new tube and tire wouldn't fit properly. This meant our driver had to buy a new rim. So nonetheless we pushed onto Pacasmayo driving just on the rim. It was a slow trip, we felt very sorry for the driver.

I preferred the wave at Pacasmayo (El Faro) to the wave at Chicama. The paddle out was a bit strenuous with a fair distance to walk over rocks in the water. The wave itself was wallier and gave you more opportunities. Plus the ever ending current at Pacasmayo was nowhere near as bad as Chicama. It cost about $AUD2 to catch a moto all the way out to El Faro which gave you the real sense of isolation away from town. We look forward to catching this wave with Puemape again sometime.

After spending the last month in the Trujillo area from Pacasmayo - Chicama - Huanchaco, the water and air temperature had warmed up quite a lot. Bronnie, Tasman and myself decided to head south to Lima.

All aboard another bus.


Pacasmayo & the tiny lighthouse in the back ground is where the wave Él Faro begins